Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

A Growing Collection of Geology Field Photos

Today over at Georneys, Evelyn suggested, in what's sure to become a geoblogmeme, posting geology pictures.  I love it when geologists share their photographs, and since late August I've started building my collection of geology photos and posting them on Google+.  It all got started when I decided to take a leap and submit one of my photos to the NASA site Earth Science Picture of the Day, and they accepted it.  I mainly did that because I was a bit bored of all the cloud formations that tend to dominate the EPoDs (need more geologists submitting their pics to this site!).  Anyway, that experience as well as the huge amount of great photo sharing on G+ led me down this path.
Isoclinal folds in high-grade gneiss, eastern Blue Ridge, Southern Appalachians.
The pics are being collected in an PicasaWeb album.  When I post them on G+, I give a longer description & explanation so my followers can learn something cool about geoscience.  All of the photos are geotagged and their locations can be seen on the map in the PicasaWeb album (unfortunately, the same album viewed in G+ does not have the spiffy googlemaps with it), so that others can visit these locations and see for themselves.
Chilled margin in granite, St. Francois Mtns., MO
I've cross-posted the links to the G+ posts on my BookFace & Twitter accounts, but so far the blog here hasn't seen them.  I've also tagged each of these posts with the hashtag #geopic.  In this way, anyone can see the photos and search for the descriptions I wrote about them easily on G+.  I'm happy to let any geoscience instructors use them (unaltered, of course) as examples in their lecture slides.  A lot of photographers post beautiful pictures of landscapes, and I'm not a serious photographer in that way; these are meant for science, not necessarily for art.
Deformed mudcracks, Valley & Ridge Province, east TN.
So without further ado, here's the link to the collection:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106934864033790932269/GeologyFieldPhotos

The collection so far includes 14 pictures (I post about 1 per week).  I also upload the photos to my panoramio account so they can be viewed in Google Earth & Maps.  The collection so far includes about 10 structures (3 folds, a textbook delta clast, deformed mudcracks, en echelon veins, liesegang rings, a chilled margin in granite, and GIANT-size joints & cross beds), 2 landforms, 1 fossil, and 1 mineral/crystal.  I guess that's a bit skewed toward the structures!
Delta clast in gneiss, Parry Sound Shear Zone, Ontario, CA.

2 comments:

  1. I've been going crazy trying to find the instances of your "Geology Field Photos" that include significant explanatory text.
    (like:
    o https://plus.google.com/u/0/106934864033790932269/posts/R9fkpzhkRXY
    o https://plus.google.com/u/0/106934864033790932269/posts/4se2dSwrGmz
    )

    Would you please help.


    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi "DisplayName" - if you search within Google plus for "#geopic carrigan" you should find them all. Let me know how that goes. I have all of the links stored in my bit.ly and I could dig them all out individually if needed, but I just did the above search and it was pretty easy. But again, if that doesn't work for you let me know and I'm happy to help out.

    ReplyDelete